Watermelon Feta & Mint Salad is perfect for scorching summer days or alongside spicy roasted meats. Hardly any effort is required to prepare the salad so you can put it together shortly before serving. The sweet watermelon and salty feta cheese are cut into bite sized cubes, combined with sweet red onion then gently dressed with mint and olive oil to create a perfect summer salad.
Watermelon Feta & Mint Salad has to be one of the easiest side dishes to prepare. Removing the rind from the melon and chopping the mint is about as difficult as it gets. I love this salad, it has the ideal balance of sweet and salty. You might want to make a double batch as it will disappear pretty quickly. I love the watermelon and feta cut into equal size cubes but, if serving to children, you may want to crumble rather than cube the cheese. A big chunk of feta may be a little too much salty flavour for young palettes.
The salad is best prepared up to an hour before serving. You want to allow a little time for the mint and onion flavours to combine with the juice coming out of the watermelon but, if made too far in advance it can get too watery. If you want to be organised and make the salad ahead of time you can prepare the individual ingredients and combine about an hour before serving.
This light and refreshing salad is a great accompaniment to rich and aromatic dishes and BBQ meats. For a complete menu with a difference serve it with Spiced Side of Salmon and my aromatic Spiced Potato Salad.
- 1/4 large seedless watermelon, rind removed cut into bite size cubes
- 150 gram Australian feta cheese, cut into cubes the same size as the melon
- 1/2 bunch fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 or 2 limes
- 2 – 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sea Salt
- Combine the melon and feta in a large salad bowl and sprinkle with chopped mint leaves.
- Whisk together lime juice and olive oil and pour over salad.
- Season with salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
- Gently toss to combine and set aside in the fridge for about an hour to allow the flavours to develop if time allows.
- Servings : 6
- Ready in : 60 Minutes
- Recipe Type : Salad
- Ingredient : Cheese, Feta, Fruit